Saturday 19 May 2012

Cheap Flowers

I live in the Midwest with my spouse and two beautiful kids. And there's a reason my wife's been humming the melody from an old classic, "You Don't Bring Me Flowers Anymore", sung by Barbra Streisand and Neil Diamond. It's because I don't bring her flowers anymore. She told me I had to put a stop to it. She told me with flower prices being at an all-time high, we had to put our money towards things our two growing kids needed.
But that doesn't mean she doesn't miss the flower delivery person at the door with a beautiful spray of flowers on her birthday, Valentine's Day, or even Mother's Day. I don't want to brag, but I was a bit of a master when choosing just the right arrangement for her. And don't think I'm talking about just when we were dating either. The gift of flowers continued long after we were married. The flowers I sent were always multi-colored but included a few varieties that grew in her favorite color yellow and smelled so beautiful I know it was tough to give them up. 




Then one day a new thought struck me. We live in a part of the country where spring and summer cover only five or six months out of the year, so I thought I would still bring her flowers but it would look just a little different than what she was used to. I could plant a beautiful garden with all of her favorites in it.
Now, how to get such a project started? I knew that unless I could make it affordable, my wife would still be singing that same old tune when it came to how much it cost.
To this point in my life, I had never grown anything. I was determined I could learn. I began by planting Shasta Daisies. I found out everything I could about this type of daisy and with a bit of trepidation started planting my garden. Here are some of those particulars I mentioned that you need to know about any flower you decide to grow

No comments:

Post a Comment